Friday, November 1, 2013

The Audition Poster



1) The elements and principles of design that pertain to my poster are shape, line, colour, emphasis, space, and contrast. The shapes used in my poster are the hand and the chair. I used the hand to portray somebody reaching for the spotlight. 'The Audition' is about high school students auditioning to be in the 'spotlight' so the hand represents the students and the chair with the light on it represents the spotlight. I used the colour red for the dates and the title because red contrasts well with black and white and it puts emphasis on the most important things (dates and title). The space on the poster has meaning because everything on the poster is placed in those places for specific reasons. For example the hand is placed on the side because it looks like it is reaching and creates a balance with everything on the other side. The emphasis is on the dates, title, and the hand reaching for the stool. Likewise the contrast on the poster is the black stool with the white shadow, the white hand on a black background, and red typography compared to white typography and black background.


2) I am satisfied with the final product and it is what I pictured it to be. The vision I had for my poster is to have a black background with a white hand reaching out of a corner to grab a stool placed in the bottom half of the poster. My poster went above and beyond what I envisioned. I feel that its an appealing poster, it fits what the client wanted, it fits with what the play is about and that it attracts peoples attention. But if I did have more time I would play around with the fonts of the text, and I would play around with the colour of the title (to see if anything works better).

3) I had trouble with editing the stool image, because I wanted to make it look more graphic and fit better with the hand. I also had trouble with editing the hand because the magic wand tool wasn't working properly. In addition I had the fonts of the text because I felt that photoshop didn't have a great variety of fonts, but in the end I found fonts that I liked. Moreover, I didn't find any new techniques, but this was my first time using photoshop, and at first it was difficult to use because it isn't exactly the same as illustrator. But in the end I got the hang of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment