Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Random Album Cover Assignment (Heindonk/Cele)

The name of the first band is Heindonk, and when I thought about that name, Western Europe came to mind. It turns out that Heindonk is a village in Belgium (so I was right). 'Hipster' type music also came to mind when I was thinking about Heindonk. The last few words of the random quote turned out to be part of life which I shortened to 'part life', and the picture I got from flickr was a peak of a mountain covered by clouds and an orange reflection from the sun. I thought the combination of all these elements Heindonk had to be an alternative/indie band like 'Two Door Cinema Club' or 'Phoenix'. I cropped out most of the photo and put the emphasis on the peak of the cloud. I made the album name 'Part Life' be on the outline of a cloud because some people say your life now is only part of your life (part life) and the rest is spent in an after life in heaven or hell. So since Heindonk seems angelic, smooth, calming I thought putting the album name on the clouds would be perfect which represents the 'part life' in heaven. Furthermore, I thought that the white colour and a simplistic sans serif font would be perfect for the name of the band because it stands out, it's elegant, and it fits well with the vision I had for the album. The lilac colour for the album name fit perfectly with the rest of the colours, and because I didn't want it to be the emphasis point, but I still wanted it to be visible.
The name of the second band is Cele and when I thought of it I thought of Africa. Once again I turned out to be right, Henry Cele (I shortened it to Cele) is a South African actor. The last few words of the random quote were 'the devil's dictionary', and the photo I got from flickr got was of an African savanna tree. So, it was obvious that Cele was a  South African hardcore punk band.  I thought they could be similar to 'The Misfits' or 'Black Flag'.  I cropped the photo so the emphasis would be on the savanna tree and I also put a filter on the photo so its pixelated and there is a green, red, blue undertone. I thought that doing that would add to the hardcore/punk feel of the album. I chose the font and colour for the band name because a thick black font gives off the feeling of hardcore and edgy, and it makes the album name an emphasis point. I chose a white serif font for the album name because its comes into contrast with all of the thick black lines. It makes the album have unity with the black and white. I chose the album name to have the effect of a staircase because it would be the perfect effect to make the album balanced. Otherwise the album would have too much writing on either side.


No comments:

Post a Comment