Friday, November 1, 2013

Vector (Screw Driver)

Sketch
Tracing

Final Product (Tracing w/ Colour)
1) The elements and principles of design used in my drawings are line, shape, form, color, texture, space, value, emphasis, contrast, and repetition. These elements and principles pertain to my drawings for many reasons. For example there is line in my drawings because the screwdriver is outlined (body,shank, etc) and there is shape (organic and geometric) because the entire drawing is a shape and there are many shapes inside the drawing (grips, ridges on the screw). There is form on my tracing and drawing because in between the shank and the upper body there is a dark grey circle that makes the drawing look 3D. There is color because on my colour version there is lots of greys, black, silver, and yellow. Texture pertains to my drawings because of the ridges on the screw, and the yellow grips. The ridges on the screw look like they would feel hard and rough compared to the yellow grips that would feel soft and squishy. Moreover, there is space on my drawings because in between all the shapes (parts of the screwdriver) there is space (positive space) and there is negative space as well because of the white background. In addition there is value on my colour drawing because of all the different shades of grey on my drawing (grey on the body, the upper side grips, and the lower side grips). There is emphasis on my drawing  because of the yellow grips on the body of the screwdriver. They are the emphasis point because they are in the center, the central one is fairly big, and they are the brightest colour (yellow). Likewise, the contrast in my drawing is the yellow compared to all the different shades of grey, silver, and black. Yellow is already a bright colour but with a grey background it makes it even brighter. Furthermore, the repetition on my drawings is all the grips on the side, and the repetition of the colour grey.

2) Well first I had to choose an image to trace. I first chose a concept bike but then that turned out horribly so I moved on to a screwdriver. The first drawing I did was the free hand sketch. I put the image on one layer, and moved it out of the way so I could see it but it didn't interfere with my sketch. I started sketching the image in sections and put those sections on different layers (so I could easily manipulate my sketch).  For example one layer was the shank of the screwdriver, one layer was the outline of the upper body, and one layer was the ridges on the actual screw. Then I accurately had to name my layers so I knew what was on each layer. So after, I finally finished my sketch and did the same process (i.e layers, etc.) with the tracing except I traced over the image instead of eyeballing it. Then when I was fulfilled with my tracing of the image I turned the tracing into a colour version based off of the actual image. To turn the tracing into a colored version I used the selection tool to select a certain part of the screwdriver then I chose a colour to fill that part and I chose a colour to outline that part. Moreover, the tools I used for this project were the pen tool (to trace/sketch the image and its parts), the selection tool (to move things around/select them), eye dropper tool (to ensure parts of the screwdriver were the same colour), direct selection tool (to alter the anchors), and I also used the zoom in button.

3) The drawing that I like/think looks the best/has the best design out of the three is the colored version. I feel that way because with the colored version the different shades of grays, yellow, silver, and black bring the drawing to life. It makes the drawing look three dimensional and its the one that looks the most similar to the image. I feel that the trace looks the worst, and the sketch needs color. I also feel that the sketch doesn't represent the image well. I feel that the other two drawings (tracing/sketch) look like a series of shapes and lines. They don't look like an image, they don't have unity and they don't have texture. Overall the colored one is the most appealing and has the most elements and principles of design. Which I feel makes it look better.

No comments:

Post a Comment